Thursday, March 31, 2011

Five a Day is the Healthy Way

Am I the only one who remembers that little song from Elementary School? I generally have no problem getting Joe to eat a variety of fruit, but Joe is a terrible vegetable eater. He will eat raw carrots dipped in ranch. That's it. No other vegetables. I always put some of whatever we are having on his plate, but he won't touch it. I finally decided I need to do something about it.

First, I tried making brownies with spinach in them. While they weren't gross, they weren't good enough to share the recipe. They tasted like bittersweet chocolate, and had a funky aftertaste. Joe did eat one though, so they weren't a complete failure.

Tonight, we had Sweet Potato Pancakes. Recipe found HERE.

sweet-potato pancakes
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 cup store-bought pancake mix (I just used 1 cup flour, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 Tbsp baking powder and 1 Tbsp sugar)
  • 1 small pinch ground nutmeg
  • 1 small sweet potato, boiled, peeled, and mashed (about 1 1/2 cups, I had to use three small potatoes to get this much)

They were a total winner. They turn out very moist (moist, I don't like that word - just say it out loud and tell me you don't agree). Joe ate three pancakes. The recipe makes about twelve. That means he ate 6 Tablespoons of sweet potatoes. That doesn't sound like a lot, but it's .37 c. I call that success.


One other way I've successfully persuaded Joe to consume veggies:

These are great. There is one combined serving of fruits and veggies in each box. They also have 1/3 less sugar than regular fruit juice. Which I think is the fancy way of saying they've watered it down for you a little bit. I don't buy these often, but when I do, Joe loves it.

"Fruits and vegetables, they're okay! Five a day is the healthy way."

3 comments:

Lindsey S. said...

Bailey's so so with her veggies too, she would never eat green beans but I never gave up putting them on her plate. I stopped asking her to eat them and just continued to always give them to her then one night she picked one up, ate it, and said, Um I like these! And now she eats them. Kind of weird. I didn't even mean to do it like that. I just kind of gave up in my mind and just put them on her plate to put them there. Anyway, don't know if that might work for you. But I love the pancake idea. I also use Double Delicious. By Jessica Seinfeld

Sandy -- As Told By Mommy said...

Lincoln is the opposite...LOVES veggies but getting him to eat fruit is sooo hard! he hates the textures I think...and he used to no drink juice either but now he can drink out of straws and for some reason loves juice now! :-)

Colleen T said...

I am trying the pancakes tomorrow- as waffles.