Zach woke up this morning with a terrible migraine, so I took the boys to church by myself. They are generally a handful in sacrament meeting and I was worried about managing all three of them without Zach. Things were going pretty well, although I wasn't able to listen much, until halfway through the final speaker. I can't even remember what set him off but Will started throwing a loud tantrum complete with hits, pinches, and yells. I told Joe to go out to the foyer and had to carry out Will. What about Max, you ask? The girl sitting next to me kindly accepted to keep an eye on him while I was gone.
I took Will outside to have him sit in time-out for his behavior. Of course he was upset about it and was very vocal about it. I'm sure the people in the foyer were distracted from the rest of the meeting. After the meeting we went and collected Max. Poor guy just laid on the floor after I left. He probably thought I had abandoned him. Will couldn't very well go to nursery after an outburst like that so I took him and Max home to put them both down for naps.
It took all of Gospel Doctrine, but once they were asleep I headed back to church (don't forget, Zach was home, but his migraine left him incapacitated). I made it for Relief Society where we had an excellent lesson about having a peaceful home. The Spirit taught me a lot that meeting and I was so grateful to be there. Then I started thinking of how it would have been different had Max and Will still been there. It's likely they would have run out of steam before Relief Society was over and I would have had to intervene. Even if that weren't the case, I would have been at least slightly preoccupied with thoughts of how they were doing.
Although Will's behavior was a far cry from perfect, I felt like it was a blessing in disguise. First, it was an opportunity for me to practice patience. Although I often enjoy those opportunities, I need them. Second, because I took the boys home I was able to fully participate in Relief Society.
On the surface it may not seem like it, but today was a good day.
3 comments:
And that is why I look to your example when I need greater patience with my kids. You're the best, katie!!! I miss you!
I've seen that patience as well. You are a sweet Mom. Hope you are doing well in that beautiful new home of yours. :) Miss you too!
Leslie
This seriously made me laugh. I could just picture it perfectly in my head. Will is my Crew and boy does he try my patience. You are amazing! Miss you!
Post a Comment