Friday, January 7, 2011

Story Time

When my siblings (and cousins) and I were little, my Gram Betty read to us all the time. I don't know how, but she never grew tired of it. We loved it. My parents even got her on tape so we could listen to her reading stories before we went to sleep. We read books like, Epaminondas, The Three Billy Goats Gruff, Little Black Sambo, Tikki Tikki Tembo, Harry the Dirty Dog, Millions of Cats and many more.

My sweet Gram's body is in incredible condition for her age. Another thing she did, and I believe she still does is take walks, almost every day. My dad observed her bend over to pick something up off the floor and noted that she looked much better than many in their middle age, or even youth, would look doing the same thing. Her mind isn't in as good condition as her body. She was already beginning to lose her memory when she suffered from a stroke about two years ago. All things considered her recovery has really been something. Her memory suffers more than it did before, and now she has difficulty articulating, among other things.

Over Christmas break we had our annual get-together with my dad's family. It was great fun as always, but the best part of the night was story-time. My mom has starting to collect some of the books my Gram read to us when we were children. Following my dad's suggesting, my sister read to us, Millions of Cats. Everyone enjoying hearing the book (as many of us haven't read it recently), and remember when Gram used to read it to each of us. Then, after some urging, again from my dad, my Gram agreed to read to us, Epaminondas. I don't know how long it has been since she had read, let alone read aloud.

I had the privilege of sitting next to her while she read the story. Initially, most of the words came out slowly, or a little rough, and just a few were skipped altogether. But then, it came more smoothly. It was a joy to listen to her voice, and see her face as she remembered the story. I know it's a simple thing, but it was moving. The end of the book is humorous, and hearing her laugh, before she read the end, but when she remembered what was about to happen was so fun! I think she enjoyed it just as much as we all did.

I treasure all the memories I have of my Gram reading to me, but I think I might treasure this one most.

Gram Betty reading Epamanondas

Ash reading Millions of Cats

No comments: