Friday, February 26, 2010

Success!

Today I had my first successful outing just the two boys and me. I was determined we were going out today (after all it was 25 degrees at 10:30am, you've got to cease the moment). Also, Joe had already been in timeout four times this morning. His behavior was just increasing my desire to get out of the house. But, I wasn't going to go out without taking a shower. So I had Joe take a bath while I took a shower and William was asleep. I got Joe and myself dressed. Then I changed the baby and got him dressed and bundled up, complete with shoes and a hat. Then I loaded him up in the car seat and stuck the car seat in the stroller. Joe flipped out. Apparently he doesn't like the idea of the baby in his stroller.

My original plan was to push the baby and let Joe walk around outside. Obviously that wasn't going to fly so I got the baby carrier, took the baby out of the stroller and car seat, put him in the carrier and strapped the carrier to me. In the meantime Joe manages to spill water all over his pants. So we changed his pants and put on his socks and shoes and coat, and he climbed into the stroller. I bundled up me and the baby. I decided since we were out and Joe was contained, we might as well walk to the botanical gardens that are practically next door. We make it down the hill and the gate for walkers is frozen shut! Now, I wouldn't mind going through the car entrance except it has a cattle grate which makes it difficult to cross with a stroller. But, I was also determined we would make it to our destination so I start to cross with the stroller. It was going slowly, with much difficulty. Thankfully, a sweet couple (not old, but not exactly young and spry either) pull over and help me carry the stroller over the grate. It wasn't exactly easy for them to navigate the grate. And I was pretty embarrassed.

Finally, we make it to the gardens. The indoor exhibit was beautiful and we headed home. The gate was still frozen shut, but the gate-keeper, or whatever the guys job is who sits in his truck next to the entrance all the time, kindly helped me carry the stroller back over the grate and we made it home.

So, it might not have been far, but I felt like it was a pretty big accomplishment. I might actually be able to do this whole mom of two thing...

5 comments:

Ashley said...

Boy, do I relate! Thanks for the story! I haven't dared take the two girls anywhere in the car yet (anywhere, that is, where they have to get OUT) by myself, but thankfully we've had a few nice days and the baby carrier/stroller combo has been stellar. It's 1000x easier getting Sarah in and out of the stroller than the carseat, I'm telling you! Plus, she knows I'm in control. Add the baby and car, and she knows I'm counting on her to do what I say. . . and THAT'S when she won't do it! (Ah, irony!) Love ya Kates! You rock the mom thing! ;)

Teresa Gashler said...

That IS a huge accomplishment! Juggling two little children in cold conditions over cattle grates, that requires lots of patience and effort on your part. Way to go, Katie! (It's fun when we become parents and the "little" things are the big things :) )

Ami said...

Katie, you are fantastic! I only have one and I still know the feeling of being overwhelmed by an outing. You are great for taking that on with both boys :) I'm sure you made it look super easy, since you are Supermom :)

The Evers Family said...

Wow, that really was an accomplishment and you went over a lot of hurdles. I'm proud of you for sticking with it. I wouldn't have been so brave to cross the cattle grate. That thing is hard.

Nicole Sue Taylor said...

Good job Katie! I honestly can't even remember the first time I tried to take the two kids out by myself... I wish I'd written it down.