Friday, May 8, 2009

Dumpster Diving

Next week we are moving! Yesterday, in an effort to save money we went to a small, local grocery store to get some boxes. We were informed we could just help ourselves to the pile of boxes right next to the dumpster. Amidst our search for suitable moving boxes I pick up an especially long one and look inside to find, an unopened Hershey's candy bar of this variety:

That's a Hershey's special dark with raspberry and macadamia, if you can't tell. Yes Zach and I technically ate a candy bar out of the dumpster, and it was tasty. I'm thinking this will make a good story when we have older kids. "When you're dad was in dental school and were scraping by we once ate food from the dumpster!" They really wouldn't need to know the details...right?

Really though, we are very grateful our needs have always been taken care of and we've never had to take such drastic efforts to put food on our table.

7 comments:

Marin said...

SWEET FInd!!! yummm! Maybe Justin and I should go through the dumpster more!!! We love dark chocolate! Miss you guys. HOpe finals go well for you! Justin has 4 more!!

Sandy -- As Told By Mommy said...

It's all good, Katie. I would have eaten it too. :)

Kendrick and Hailey said...

Good luck with the move! I can't believe its already time for you to leave. And you should tell Richard that story... at least it was wrapped! Remember how he'll eat anything out of the garbage?:)

Lindsey S. said...

That's awesome!

And the video is so adorable!

The Mann Family said...

Hey good luck with the move! I know it's a huge chore, so I hope everything goes smoothly for you guys!!! And I probably would have been tempted to eat that chocolate too...it looks delicious!

tiffany and darren said...

That makes a great story, and I would have done the same thing, good for you!

Michelle said...

Katie! Your blog is so darling and so is little Joe! I'm glad you write so I can keep tabs on you. My latest news is that I'm turning in my mission papers next week! I'll let you know when I get my call. Love you.

Michelle Crosland